Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi
Department of Mathematics and Statistics
MATH 1316 Trigonometry
- Instructor: Dr. Ping "Charlene" Tintera
Trigonometric functions, identities, equations involving trigonometric
functions, solutions of right and oblique triangles.
Prerequisites for the course:
Math 1314 college algebra or placement into trigonometry.
Text and other supplies required:
- TEXT: Trigonometry 9th edition by Lial, Hornsby, and Schneider.
- A TI-83 or TI-83 plus graphing calculator is required for the class.
This course is designed to enable students to understand and work comfortably
- Trigonometric functions,
- Angles, radian measure, and circular functions,
- Trigonometric identities,
- Inverse trigonometric functions and trigonometric equations, and
- Complex numbers and polar equations.
Instructional methods and activities:
Methods and activities for instruction include:
- instructional presentation of new material and concepts,
- class discussion and problem solving analysis using critical thinking techniques,
- individual written assignments to enhance understanding of new concepts,
- discovery method techniques supported by a graphing calculator to view the
effects of shifting and translation concepts on the trigonometric functions,
- optional 1-to-1 discussion time between students and instructor office hours.
Evaluation and grading polices:
Tests 5 major tests 80% (take top 4 score, 20% each)
Final exam (comp) 20%
A: 90 – 100 B: 80 – 89 C: 70 – 79 D:
60 – 69
F: 59 and below
- Attendance is mandatory. Attendance will be checked
each class period and each absence after 3
times will result in one letter grade lower. Please save absences for
- Homework will be given each class period and collected
at the beginning of next class period.
- No cell phone will be allowed during the class meeting.
Please turn off your cell.
- Last day to drop a course for "W" is November
- Any adjustments or corrections to the schedule will
be announced in class and it is the responsibility of the student to stay
informed of such changes.
See the class instructor
Tutoring and Learning Center has many quality tutors
to help you while you need someone beside my office hours. Welcome to visit
those tutors at the second floor of library. Please find out their schedule
first before you make a plan to go for this semester. I will be happy to work
with you anytime during my office hours and also email me for your special needs.
Good luck to everyone in the class.